Position: System Design Engineer
Location: Milpitas, CA
Duration: Full time
The RAPID division is the world leading provider of reticle inspection solutions for the semiconductor industry. The company provides inspection solutions to both the mask shops and the semiconductor fabs to ensure that lithography yields are consistently high thus enabling cost-effective manufacturing.
Work in a world-class engineering team to develop the next generation electron beam inspection tool.
The System Design Engineer plays a central role throughout the different phases of the product life cycle. This position is part of a team responsible for developing and supporting next generation products. The candidate will play a key role in next generation product development, from technology evaluation and selection, specifications development, product validation, verification, transfer to manufacturing, and support of customer ramp. The engineer will provide the definition of requirements and the architecture of complex subsystems and be able to architect entire subsystems including writing of subsystem requirements. This responsibility includes planning and leading experiments and trade-off studies required to make major architecture decisions on complex subsystems. The candidate will provide input to the top level system specifications, system error budget, interfaces and working parameters for the optimum hardware/software solution. The candidate must be effective at leading a team of engineers to achieve goals with which they are challenges to meet divisional and/or functional objectives.
The Design Engineer will maintain ownership of the product performance through the life cycle and be responsible for improvement projects and support of field and manufacturing issues. The engineer must be able to complete the initial diagnosis of any system issue, uncover root cause and devise solutions for complex problems. Must be able to support the detailed analysis and trade offs for the various solutions, develop plan of action, and effectively communicate plan to colleagues to execute. Must have the knowledge and experience to effectively work with experts in optics, electronics, mechanics, software, and algorithms as required to resolve issues. Some travel may be required to support product transition to manufacturing, beta support at customer sites, and for complex escalations that require onsite support.
- Research, evaluate, and propose new product features in support of customer requirements
- Analyze data on critical components to determine impact on system performance and if performance meets specifications
- Develop and evaluate concepts and designs for the next generation systems
- Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies
- Own creation and execution of prototype test plans for complex subsystems. This will involve integration of subsystems, testing against design tolerances and marketing specifications, analyzing test data, and generation of reports
- Drive product or feature introduction. This includes preparation of first draft of system alignment, calibration and troubleshooting diagnostics for existing and new products, training of operations and field personnel, and solving technical issues that may impact production introduction
- Drive team to resolve system issues at customer site or in manufacturing. Work with engineers at locations around the globe to solve issues escalated to engineering: establish root cause, develop plan of action (POA), guide local teams in execution of POA, and document issues and solutions to improve design and/or procedures so that they may be implemented across the fleet in a standard manner
- Will require some travel (< 25%)
- MS or PhD in engineering discipline, with 10+ year’s experience in lithographic inspection tools
- Experience in top-level system design, with knowledge of requirements flow down, trade studies, and creation of risk mitigation plans
- Creation and oversight of test plans, product introduction plans, and plans to resolve conflicting tool requirements
- Formal or informal leadership of a systems engineering team is a plus
Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 7 years of experience
Master's Level Degree with at least 6 years of experience
Doctorate (Academic) with at least 5 years of experience
Kindly send your resume to Raju.Balaji@kla-tencor.com
KLA-Tencor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.