Position: Senior Product Development Engineer
Location: Beaverton, OR
Duration: Full time
The Film and Scatterometry Technology (FaST) Division provides industry leading metrology solutions for worldwide semiconductor IC manufacturers. The FaST Division portfolio of metrology products includes hardware and software solutions for optical film thickness, optical critical dimension (CD), composition, and resistivity measurement systems. These products are essential for the IC manufacturers as they provide critical metrology capabilities for the development and implementation of their advanced IC processes. The FaST division is committed to support our customers to achieve performance entitlement of our solution and we effectively partner with our customers from their early research and development phase to the high volume in-line manufacturing implementation specific for their process needs. The division consists of a global team located in US, Israel, China, and India.
The Product Development Engineer plays a central role throughout the different phases of the product life cycle. This position is part of a team responsible for developing and supporting next generation Scatterometry Critical Dimension (SCD) metrology systems as well as supporting and improving current systems. The candidate will be responsible for improvement projects, new product roll-out, and field support specific to a key strategic customer. The ideal candidate will demonstrate leadership attributes and be able to lead high performing teams to achieve program objectives and meet customer timelines. Effective communication with the customer to clearly identify customer issues, explain system performance, and update on product development activities will be necessary for the candidate to be successful.
The engineer must be able to complete the initial diagnosis of any system issue, uncover root cause and devise solutions for complex problems. Must be able to support the detailed analysis and tradeoffs for the various solutions, develop plan of action, and effectively communicate plan to colleagues to execute. Must have the knowledge and experience to effectively work with experts in optics, electronics, mechanics, software, and algorithms. Some travel may be required to support product development, transition to manufacturing, and for complex escalations that require onsite support.
Additional details regarding responsibilities:
- Research, evaluate, and propose new product features in support of customer requirements
- Analyze data on critical components to determine impact on system performance
- Develop and evaluate concepts and designs for the next generation systems or product improvement projects
- Resolve inconsistencies between subsystems, conduct trade-off studies, identify high-risk areas, and develop risk mitigation strategies
- Own creation and execution of prototype test plans for complex subsystems. This will involve integration of subsystems, testing against design tolerances and marketing specifications, analyzing test data, and generation of reports
- Drive product or feature introduction. This includes preparation of first draft of system alignment, calibration and troubleshooting diagnostics for existing and new products, training of operations and field personnel, and solving technical issues that may impact production introduction
- Drive team to resolve system issues at customer site or in manufacturing. Work with colleagues to solve issues escalated to engineering: establish root cause, develop plan of action (POA), guide engineers in execution of POA, and document issues and solutions to improve design and/or procedures so that they may be implemented across the fleet in a standard manner
- Will require some travel (< 25%)
- PhD in Optics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related technical field
- Strong background in engineering or the physical sciences with demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
- Hands-on experience constructing and aligning opto-mechanical system is highly desirable
- Experience diagnosing and driving solutions to complex problems across whole systems by applying appropriate problem solving techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the division, customers, vendors and across cultures
- Experience in the semiconductor capital equipment or manufacturing industry
- Project management skills (scoping, budgeting, and scheduling) would be beneficial
BS degree with at least 8 years of experience
Master's degree with at least 5 years of experience
Ph.D. with at least 3 years of relevant experience and accomplishments
Kindly send your resume to Raju.Balaji@kla-tencor.com
KLA-Tencor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.