Position: Manufacturing Design Engineer
Location: Milpitas, CA
Duration: Full time
KLA-Tencor has manufacturing sites across the globe, including Belgium, China, Germany, Israel, Singapore and Milpitas (CA). The Global Operations (GOPS) team, comprised of Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing Engineering, Installation, and Quality, is responsible for manufacturing our leading-edge technology. We partner with our world-wide supply base and our design engineering teams to bring new products to market. The GOPS team is continuously working to build our products Better, Faster, Cheaper.
The Manufacturing Design Engineer will work on problems of diverse scope in support of manufacturing, new production introduction (NPI) and continuous improvement projects (CIP).
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining methods, operation sequence and processes in the fabrication of parts, components, sub assemblies, and final assemblies. Estimates manufacturing cost, determines time standards, and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines. Configure BOM’s to meet factory requirements
- Develop the required documentation to support processes and provide training to technicians. Work with technicians to troubleshoot complex issues and provide unambiguous plan of action (POA)
- Execute and refine build sequences specific to system integration of stages and system calibrations. Evaluate the manufacturing effectiveness of a build process and implement improvements to meet build cycle times and product design specifications. As required, maintain records and reporting systems for coordination of manufacturing operations
- Perform failure analysis and implement corrective action
- Interact with control, firmware and software engineers to resolve manufacturing issues and implement corrective action
- Test and qualify mechanical components and modules. Work with suppliers to improve incoming material quality and acceptance
- Interface with engineering in coordinating the release of new products. Learn and understand the requirements/architecture of next generation subsystems
- Read and interpret design drawings, schematics, and perform simple updates of models or drawings using computer-aided design (CAD) tools. Interpret some system models of error, sensitivity, or throughput budgets that pertain to optics alignment
- Analyze manufacturing data from eQuality, a manufacturing enterprise software (MES) via statistical process control to drive process, specs and design improvements
- Interpret and update Gantt charts. Understand basic project planning, dependencies, and milestones
- Setup and drive small team efforts that address product-level optics/systems issues (7-Steps, supplier issues, manufacturing escalations, characterization or improvement projects). Follows instructions to resolve difficult issues that may span multiple subsystems or organizations. Able to uncover root cause and to devise solutions for simpler or moderately-difficult problems. Fully understands and applies the 7-Step problem solving method
- Potential travel both domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time
- A Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree (desired) in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. Relevant industry experience a plus
- Able to communicate effectively with peers, interdisciplinary engineering groups, customers, vendors and across cultures. Able to give effective technical presentations up to the Product Life Cycle (PLC) level. The individual must also be able to effectively communicate with a broad range of people located in the US, Europe and Asia
- Understanding of system level interactions between electronics and mechanical parts to enable effective problem solving at the system level down to the individual piece part level
- Able to read technical drawings, understand BOMs, and use a variety of precision testing and measuring instruments
- Self-driven individual with keen technical ability, systematic approach, detailed-oriented, excellent problem solving skills, positive attitude, and strong team player
- Has very good problem solving ability through design of experiments and carry out tests to collect and analyze data. Able to apply the 7-Step problem solving method consistently. Has excellent technical writing and documentation skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes including machining, sheet metal and castings
- Knowledge of analysis tools such as Matlab or Lab view
- Experience in vibration optimization and design for high stiffness to weight ratio
- Solid modeling and structural analysis FEA, preferably ProE
- Experience in motion control and servo systems
- Implementation of high resolution feedback devices as encoders and laser interferometer
- Design experience of positioning systems integrated with vision systems is a plus
- Semiconductor Equipment experience desired
- Knowledge of manufacturing IT systems (ERP, PLM, CAD, etc) a plus
- Experience in statistical process control (SPC) is a plus
Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 3 years of experience.
Master's Level Degree with at least 2 years of experience.
Kindly send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
KLA-Tencor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.